Happy Friday friends, we finally made it to the weekend (hallelujah)! With as many hauls as I highlight here on Southern Lights, I thought it was time to shed some light on a few products that just didn’t work for me. Let me start by saying that this is in no way a knock on these brands; these particular products just didn’t work out for one reason or another! If you love these products, that’s awesome, I’m so glad they ended up working for you, I certainly wish they had worked out for me! I only have a few, so let’s just jump right in!
* Aussie Total Miracle 7N1 Dry Shampoo ($3.47): It’s no secret that I live and die by dry shampoo; I absolutely hate washing my hair so anything that extends the life between washes, I’m all about! I have tried COUNTLESS dry shampoos and have liked almost all of them. Of course I have my favorites (Batiste, Not Your Mothers…etc.), but almost all of them have done the job! However this dry shampoo didn’t do ANYTHING for my hair…other than making it look worse than it already did. This product doesn’t leave a white cast (I know that’s important to some), but it also doesn’t leave my hair feeling refreshed; in fact, it makes it feel much worse. It feels more like a hairspray than a dry shampoo; it has a sticky texture that makes brushing through your hair feel impossible. I love trying new dry shampoos and usually have pretty good luck, but next time I’ll pass on this one!
* L’OREAL Pure-Clay Exfoliate & Refine Mask ($12.99): You guys know that I’m a skincare junkie, I’ve mentioned it numerous times here on my blog! So when L’OREAL came out with their pure-clay line I was beyond excited. Y’all know that I live by my Peter Thomas Roth Sulfur Masque ($47) but I was itching to try something new. All three versions of the mask received great reviews and I was hoping this was going to be my next holy-grail product…unfortunately it was not. I certainly don’t hate this product; I think if you have normal, non-sensitive skin, you would love this. Unfortunately I have the world’s most sensitive skin and I had a terrible reaction to this mask. The first time I used it, I only left it on for about 5 minutes and it didn’t seem to bother me. The next few times I used it, I tried leaving it on for 7-8 minutes (the instructions say to leave it on for 10-15 minutes) and noticed that my skin was red, itchy and just plain uncomfortable. If that wasn’t enough, when I woke up the following morning I had a bunch of little bumps in the areas where I had applied the mask (nooooooooo!!). I think my skin is just a little too sensitive for this product, but I definitely think it’s worth a try if you have more even-tempered skin!
* Benefit It’s Potent Eye Cream ($34): I know that I’ve spoken about this product before but I thought I would include it anyway. I was in the market for a new eye cream and was going back and forth between a couple of different options. As fate would have it, this bad boy went on sale during ULTA’s 21 days of beauty (is that what it’s called?) and I did what any normal person would do in that situation and immediately snatched it up! Unfortunately this didn’t work for me at all. It dried out my under eye area and created a crazy red rash that took a few days to clear up. Again, if my skin wasn’t so sensitive I think I would really love it! Since I can’t use it, David has taken it over and seems to really enjoy it. He has pretty normal skin and says that it’s soothing and feels hydrating under the eyes!
* Burt’s Bees White Tea Extract Facial Cleansing Wipes ($5.99): Ok maybe it’s just me, but I don’t like these at all. I don’t love the scent and I didn’t love the texture of the wipe, it almost felt too soft, like it was going to rip if I wasn’t careful (does that make any sense?). They don’t feel incredibly saturated which I’m sure is a pro for some, but definitely a con for me. I found myself tugging at my skin more than usual to ensure that all the makeup had been removed and I think by doing that, I ended up irritating my skin (especially around my eyes). Have you guys ever tried any of the Burt’s Bees facial cleansing wipes? Am I just using the wrong kind? Let me know below if you have any experience with them! For now I will just stick to my Neutrogena Makeup Remover Wipes and good ol’ coconut oil!
* L’OREAL Pencil Perfect Eyeliner – Espresso ($9.99): After seeing numerous YouTubers create eye looks that showcased a brown liner against green eyes, I decided to go out and grab a brown pencil for myself. I didn’t want to buy a high end liner because I rarely wear it and wasn’t sure that it would be worth the money, but let me tell you, this pencil wasn’t worth the $10 dollars I paid for it. It was impossible to actually get it in my waterline, and on the off chance that it showed up, it would NEVER last. I know a lot of people really like this liner so maybe I just got a dud, but either way, it didn’t work for me. I eventually went back to ULTA and picked up the Maybelline Lasting Drama Waterproof Gel Pencil in Glazed Toffee and have had much better luck with that!
* Wet n Wild MegaLast Liquid Catsuit Lipstick ($3.49 – 4.99): After seeing numerous reviews from some of my favorite YouTubers I decided to try a couple of these out for myself. I’ve mentioned before that liquid lipsticks are a struggle for me because my lips get so dry, but so many people said they were a comfortable matte, so I bit the bullet…boy do I regret that! I bought the shades Nudist Peach & Berry Recognize and didn’t have any luck with either. They went on incredibly streaky and were too drying for my already alligator lips. Maybe I chose the wrong colors (I really wanted to try Rebel Rose), or maybe it just wasn’t meant to be. For now I’ll stick with my Maybelline Color Jolt in Stripped Down when I’m looking for anything more than a lip balm!
* Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer ($36): I spoke about getting this in my most recent Sephora haul and I can already tell you that it’s not working out like I had hoped. I mentioned how a few years ago I had a reaction to the Smashbox products I used on my face for my best friend’s wedding and how I decided to swear off the brand for the past 4+ years…extreme, I know. But since I didn’t REALLY know which product it was that broke me out, I decided to give this bad boy another try. Well I can tell you with (nearly) 100% certainty that it was the primer (maybe the foundation too). I tried it out the day after receiving it in the mail and when I took my makeup off I had tons of little bumps and redness in the areas where I applied the primer. Fortunately it was a 100 point perk and didn’t actually cost me any money (hallelujah). I’m sad it didn’t work out; oh well, I guess I’m still on the hunt for the best primer. For now I’ll stick with the Too Faced Primed & Poreless or the Benefit POREfessional. What’s your favorite primer? Anything you think I should try?!
Have you tried any of the products mentioned above? Do they work for you? Are there any cult favorite beauty products that you just can’t make work for one reason or another, I’d love to know!