Happy hump day friends; I’m sure many (if not all) of you have seen countless images floating around the internet of the catastrophic damage Hurricane Harvey has done to Houston and the surrounding areas. However for those of you who don’t know, I will save you the heartbreaking photos and just tell you that the damage is widespread and incredibly severe. People have lost loved ones, homes, cars, pets and so much more. At a time where our world feels more divided than ever, I urge you to lend a hand and lift the people of Texas up in prayer as they begin to rebuild their lives. It might not be for everyone, and that’s okay, but I wholeheartedly believe in the power of prayer (and positive thinking) and the people in and around Houston could use as much as they can get. I know when it comes to donating money people are very particular about the organizations in which they choose to support, as they should be. We should all be diligent in our efforts to ensure that our support gets to the people and communities that need them the most. With that being said, I’ve had a number of people ask me how they can help so I have created a list of organizations that are accepting donations and will leave their information below! And while monetary donations are certainly needed, that isn’t the only way to help. Blood donations, diapers, wipes (just to name a few) and PRAYER are also incredibly helpful at this time.
- Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund: This fund has been set up by the mayor of Houston, Sylvester Turner after citizens and business alike inquired on ways in which they could help! Note: This fund is being administered by the Greater Houston Community Foundation.
- Houston Food Bank and Food Bank of Corpus Christi are asking for monetary donations to help provide food, water and supplies to those who are in need.
- South Texas Blood & Tissue Center: It has been widely reported that there is a critical blood shortage throughout the Southern part of Texas. If you live in the San Antonio area and are interested in donating blood, many of the donor rooms will begin operating under extended business hours (7 a.m. to 7 p.m.). In addition to longer operating hours, the STBTC has scheduled a number of mobile blood drives this week. You can make an appointment by visiting the website linked above or by calling (210) 731-5590.
- Texas Diaper Bank: The TDB has released an urgent request for donations because diapers are not provided by disaster relief agencies. Diaper donations can be dropped off or sent to 5415 Bandera Rd. Ste 504, San Antonio, TX 78238 & monetary donations can be made through the website listed above!
- United Way of Greater Houston: A relief fund has been set up and will be used to help with the immediate needs of those in the community as well as long-term relief efforts. Visit their website or text UWFLOOD to 41444 to donate!
- Houston Humane Society: The folks over at the HHS are operating with a very limited staff but are helping with animal intake as much as they can!
- San Antonio Humane Society: The SAHS has started an emergency fund, Harvey’s Heroes, to help offset the costs associated with sheltering misplaced animals due to Hurricane Harvey.
- Houston SPCA: The selfless employees of the HSPCA have rescued numerous animals from the dangerous flood waters and are asking for your support so that they can continue their efforts! If you’re interested, visit the website linked above to see how you can help!
- American Red Cross: You can visit www.redcross.org or text HARVEY to 90999 to make a $10 donation!
- AmeriCares: This organization takes medicine and supplies to those in need. For every $10 dollars donated, AmeriCares is able to provide $200 dollars worth of aid.
- Catholic Charities: Catholic Charities provides food, clothing, shelter & support services to those in need (regardless of your religious affiliation)! Visit the website linked above to find out how you can help today!
- Salvation Army: You can visit www.salvationarmyusa.org, call 1-800-SAL-ARMY, or text STORM to 51555 to donate today!
- AABB: Due to dangerous conditions and widespread flooding, many blood drives in and around South Texas have been canceled. The AABB is urging all eligible donors across America, especially those with O+ blood types, to make a donation appointment ASAP! If you are interested in donating blood, I will leave information for various organizations below!
- GoFundMe: The website has created a landing page for all relief campaigns benefiting Hurricane Harvey!
- YouCaring: This page has been set up by Houston Texans Defensive End, J.J. Watt. His campaign has currently raised over 5.6 million dollars and is still going strong!
- GlobalGiving: A relief fund has been set up to support recovery efforts by providing immediate assistance with food, fuel, hygiene products, clean water & shelter. Once the immediate needs have been met, this fund will transition to support long-term care and assistance run by local Gulf Coast organizations.
If you know of any other organizations; local, national or otherwise, leave their information down below so we can help create an exhaustive list of ways to help! I really appreciate you guys taking the time to read this post and if any of my followers are in and around the Houston area, please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I will do anything I can to help and hope you receive some relief soon! xoxo
“Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer”