Happy hump day, friends! I know I typically talk about beauty and fashion here on my blog but today I thought I would share something a little different with you all! I recently took the plunge and joined the oily girls tribe and thought that I would share with you how I’ve been using my oils and what I think about the transition so far. For those of you that don’t know, essential oils are all the rage right now, they are said to help with physical and emotional health as well as purifying your home & revamping your beauty routine. Before jumping into the oily scene I had always heard about Young Living and doTERRA and after doing some research of my own, they definitely seem like the two most reputable and trustworthy companies out there. I chose to take the Essential Oils leap with Young Living thanks to a friend of mine, Haley! She has been using and posting about Young Living for quite some time and after giving it a lot of thought, I decided to just go for it. I reached out to her with some general questions and she was more than willing to help me navigate these oily waters. She was never pushy in any way and I could tell that she was genuinely interested in my reasons for seeking out essential oils. She was truly an invaluable piece to my oily journey and I can’t thank her enough! After researching different oils and the ways they could help support both my mental and physical health, I purchased the Premium Starter Kit and haven’t looked back since. While I am still new (and learning all the ins and outs) to the oily community, I have thoroughly enjoyed my results so far.
The Premium Starter Kit comes with a diffuser, 11 Essential Oils (I added an extra when I placed my order), 2 NingXia Red® samples, a product guide & price list and some other fun goodies! My main concerns when starting this journey were migraine & anxiety support, lethargy and general wellness and I can tell you that the oils in this starter kit have helped me tremendously. No, my anxiety and migraines aren’t completely gone, but I have definitely experienced relief since incorporating these into my life. I thought I could take this time to go over each oil that comes in the kit and tell you some basic information about each one and what I have been using them for! I should start by saying that I am in no way an oily expert and am still figuring things out as I go. Also, you will notice that some oils have a white wrapping and say “vitality” on them, this just means that they are safe for consumption (think tea and delicious recipes), so without further ado, let’s jump into these oils!
**Disclaimer: This post is not intended to diagnose or make medical recommendations. If you are pregnant or nursing, please refer to your PCP for guidance on what oils are safe to use and consume at the present time! Everyone’s body is different, I’m simply sharing what works for me!**
* 1. Lemon Vitality – I use this both aromatically and for consumption. It carries gentle detox properties while promoting a healthy pH balance! Bonus: It’s great in water & tea and smells like a citrus dream!
* 2. Copaiba Vitality – I will be honest, I’ve only used this aromatically (for now) but I’ve really enjoyed the result. I use this in my relaxation blends and have really noticed a difference in my bodies response to irritation and stress!
* 3. Thieves Vitality – If there was ONE oil that I heard about constantly before making this leap, it was Thieves. I use this both aromatically and for consumption and I can tell you that it provides amazing immune support! I struggle with allergies all year round and this season has been no different; before thieves I would be a walking wreck (I don’t handle sore throats and general ickiness well), but now I just whip this bad boy out and I’m much less miserable! A couple of drops in some hot water & honey create a wonderful wellness tea!
* 4. Digize Vitality – I will be honest, my relationship with this oil is still a work in progress! I tend to use this topically to help support healthier digestion but have also tried diffusing it as well. Unfortunately I ended up tossing the blend because it was a WEE bit strong for me! Again, I’m still learning. If you have any recommendations on the best ways to use this oil, let a girl know!
* 5. Peppermint Vitality – I’m pretty sure this was the oil I was most excited to try! As soon as my kit arrived I made a roller ball headache blend and keep with me at all times! It’s certainly not a cure all, but it provides incredible support when I’m struggling with tension headaches and migraines. Bonus: It smells amazing and tastes great when added to water and tea!
* 6. Panaway – I use this topically to help support achy muscles and even rub it on the back of my neck when I start feeling the least bit tense. I have also heard that it can provide support to women during that dreaded monthly Mother Nature visit (I will test this theory and let you know)!
* 7. R.C. – I have been diffusing this like a mad woman; it offers incredible respiratory support (among other things) and has been a wonderful addition to my wellness blends.
* 8. Purification – This is another gem that has made a healthy number of appearances in my wellness blends. It can help support healthy breathing and air purification and is even great for deodorization. Bonus: I hear this can help support those with acne prone skin (don’t worry, I’ll be testing this theory further)!
* 9. Frankincense – I have been using this primarily in my anxiety blends and I LOVE IT! It helps me maintain my focus and supports a more positive mindset. I have also added this to the back of my neck for headache support.
* 10. Lavender – The holy grail of all oils! Guys, I use this ALL. THE. TIME. So much so that I am getting another bottle in my October ER order. There are so many uses for this oil there is no way I could possibly list them all. I have been using this in my relaxation blends to help me unwind and promote healthier sleep and I love it; the scent took some getting used to (at least for me) but I’ve definitely come around!
* 11. Stress Away – I mean come on, who doesn’t want an oil titled “stress away,” I know I do. This is perfect for those days when you’re feeling mentally off and just generally overwhelmed. You can add a couple drops to your diffuser, mix in a little Lavender (or Frankincense) and sit back and relax. I have also taken this with me when traveling (near or far) and rubbed a little on the insides of my wrists to promote feelings of peace when things around me get crazy. I really can’t say enough about this oil, it’s amazing!
* * 12. Peace & Calming II – This didn’t come with my starter kit but I really wanted to add another oil to support stress and feelings of anxiety. After perusing Young Living’s MANY options, I settled on this one! I can honestly say that this has been VERY well loved since the day I opened it! I use it to help promote restful sleep and relaxation and have recently turned it into a rollerball! Nothing like a little peace & calming on the go!
I know essential oils aren’t for everyone, and that’s okay! I just wanted to take a moment and share my journey with you guys so that if you had questions about the oily life, how I use my oils and my favorite blends, you would know where to find me! I’m so happy that I took the plunge and ordered my starter kit from Young Living (thanks again, Haley); the company is a step above the rest and their seed to seal promise ensures that I’m putting only the best in my body and in my home! If you have any questions at all or would like to share your favorite blends and ways to use your oils, please reach out down below, I’d love to hear from you!