Happy Friday, friends; I’m back with the 4th and final installment in my ‘Best of 2018’ series, and as you can tell by the title, today we’re talking all things media; think movies, music, TV, YouTube, etc.! If you’ve been around a while, then you know I don’t watch a ton of movies (outside of Hallmark – lol) so my list will probably be shorter (and cheesier) than most; however, I’m gonna share my favorites anyways! I also thought I would expand upon my original thought of just sharing movies, music and TV, and include my favorite YouTube channels/Instagram feeds since I tend to spend a good majority of my time scrolling and watching people through those avenues! Since I have a good bit to cover, I’m going to stop rambling and jump right in!
BEST MOVIES OF 2018
1. A Star is Born: This was my favorite movie of 2018 and quite possibly my favorite movie of all time. It’s the perfect mix of everything I love; a tan – rugged Bradley Cooper, substance abuse issues (don’t judge me) and a love story that’s so good it hurts. Cooper and Gaga’s chemistry is undeniable and the story is as gut-wrenching as it is sweet. Gaga’s talent is unreal, her voice is truly powerful and Cooper holds his own with those deep, raspy chops (swoon). If you think you might like it, I would 1000% recommend you checking it out. Disclaimer: you may want to have some tissues handy, it’s a sad one.
2. To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before: This was the best Netflix movie of the year (IMO); Noah Centineo was as dreamy as dreamy could be and Lana Condor was the perfect amount of sweet and reserved. It was delightfully charming, simple without being dull and super heartwarming. If you’re looking for something to swoon over, this is it. Also, how cute is Noah Centineo? I mean honestly. <3
3. Crazy Rich Asians: I saw this recently, and though I didn’t think it deserved a 90+ on Rotten Tomatoes (neither did TATBILB or Set it Up), I still thought it was super cute. It’s nothing I’ve never seen before, but what rom-com is? The characters were extremely likable and the story was charming and funny; if you’re looking for a feel-good movie, this is a good option! Also, can we talk about how beautiful Gemma Chan is? My goodness.
4. Set it Up: Another Nextflix movie coming in hot! Is this movie predictable? Yes it is. Do I feel happy after watching it? Yes I do. Much like all of the other rom-coms I watch (and love), there’s nothing earth-shattering to see here, but who cares. The characters are likable, the story is sweet and I laughed enough to want to see it again. Also, Zoey Deutch is an absolute gem and Glen Powell is pretty easy on the eyes!
5. Beautiful Boy: If you’re looking for a gut-wrenching movie about love and loss, this hits the nail on the head. Beautiful Boy showcases the ugliness of addiction and the unwavering love of a parent; Timothée Chalamet’s performance (at times) was breath taking, while Steve Carell played the part of a relentlessly compassionate father to a T. While this may hit close to home for some, it’s certainly worth checking out if you’ve been interested.
6. The Grinch: I know a lot of people were “eh” on this film, but I thought it was cute! The story isn’t new and I didn’t LOVE Pharrell as the narrator, but I still left the theater smiling from ear to ear. After all, who doesn’t want to see the Grinch’s heart grow 3 sizes? I know I do.
7. Incredibles 2: I was super late to the Incredibles game; however, after finally seeing the first one, I knew I had to catch the second one when it arrived in theaters. It’s great for kids and adults alike, super fun and just slap-dab enjoyable. If you’re looking for a lighthearted film for the whole family, I really enjoyed this one!
8. A Quiet Place: I wasn’t sure how I was going to feel about this movie; I knew there was going to be minimal speaking and was worried it might not hold my attention, in case you were wondering, it definitely did. This movie was intense and emotionally taxing but I couldn’t look away. I thought John Krasinski, Emily Blunt and the whole cast did an incredible job. Honestly, any movie that holds my attention with little to no speaking deserves a huge shoutout from me.
** As you can see, I didn’t include any Hallmark Movies; not because I didn’t want to, but let’s be honest, If I did, we’d be here ALL day. Did I watch every movie from their Countdown to Christmas? Yes I did. Do I regret it? No I do not. If you’re interested, some of my favorites were: Christmas at Pemberly Manor, Road to Christmas, Christmas in Evergreen: Letters to Santa, Christmas in Love & It’s Christmas, Eve. **
BEST TV SHOWS OF 2018
1. The Resident: Yaaassssssssss! If you’ve been around a while then you know how I feel about this show; it’s chock-full of drama and keeps you firmly on the edge of your seat. I love 95% of the characters (which I feel like never happens) and find it incredibly easy to root for them. Matt Czuchry is as charming as ever (and he was pretty darn charming on Gilmore Girls) and Emily VanCamp is the girl everyone aspires to be. If you’re looking for a new medical drama, check this one out!
2. Queer Eye: I never watched Queer Eye when it originally aired, but the Fab 5 have definitely stolen my heart! Tan’s fashion sense can’t be beat, Antoni looks like John Mayer (swoon) and Jonathan is just the best; his ability to change a persons life with a haircut and some moisturizer chokes me up every time! If you’re looking for something uplifting and unbelievably sweet, give Queer Eye a chance!
3. Riverdale: Juggie…swoon. You guys know how much I love Riverdale; and though the 3rd season is not shaping up to be my favorite, it’s still worth mentioning/watching. If you’re looking for a good angsty, teenage drama, the first season is 1000% worth checking out! #BugheadForLife
4. Making a Murderer Season 2: I didn’t think there was ANY way MAM Season 2 could stack up to the first season, but boy was I wrong. If you’ve followed this case at all, then I’m sure you know where things stand; however, if you haven’t watched it and want to check it out, I will refrain from giving away any spoilers. All I’ll say is this: if you’re a fan of true crime, you NEED to watch this. I’m still picking my jaw up off the floor.
5. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel: Yaaassssssss! I’m so glad David recommended we try this show; Rachel Brosnahan’s performance alone warrants watching the pilot, and once you do, you’ll be hooked. It’s delightfully witty and full of belly laughs! If you haven’t, I 100% recommend checking it out, especially if you’re a GG fan!
BEST MUSIC OF 2018
BEST YOUTUBE ACCOUNTS OF 2018
1. Always Ameera: If you’re looking for hilarity, check out Ameera’s channel. She’s one of my best friends, never takes herself too seriously, represents for the women in color and is absolutely stunning…I mean honestly, look at her. She has ALL the tips and tricks when it comes to wigs and hair, so if you’re interested/need a little inspo, I’d recommend checking her out! Find her on Instagram HERE!
2. Angelcake Entertainment: Drew is one of the co-hosts of the FML Podcast with David, and he’s seriously a gem! I feel like he watches every show on TV and I’m borderline worried he doesn’t get enough sleep; however, I genuinely appreciate his work ethic. His channel is definitely different than the majority of people I follow, but sometimes I need to take a break from beauty and fashion and change things up! If you’re looking for a likable guy that delivers TV show reviews, movies reviews and just all-around fun content, you should check him out. Find him on Instagram HERE & Twitter HERE!
3. Allie Glines: I discovered Allie’s channel last year and have been obsessed with her ever since. She’s super sweet, incredibly relatable and shares the best tips and tricks! She can show you how to rock drugstore products on the red carpet and make people think you spent a million bucks; if you haven’t, check her out! Find her on Instagram HERE!
4. Kathleen Lights: I. Love. Kathleen. Seriously, everything she touches is gold and I just can’t get enough. Her makeup looks are incredible, she’s seemingly very down to earth and she never takes herself to seriously. Find her on Instagram HERE & Twitter HERE!
5. James Charles: If you’re looking for fun, over-the-top (in the best way) content, this is the channel for you. James’ artistry is ridiculous (so talented) and he serves ALL THE LOOKS on his channel. If you’re looking for fierce, look no further! Find him on Instagram HERE & Twitter HERE.
6. SMLXO: Relatable – check! Beautiful – check! Do you need anything else? She’s a regular girl that loves Target, leggings, wine and carbs…I mean honestly, can we be best friends? Find her on Instagram HERE & Twitter HERE!
7. LeighAnn Says: LeighAnn is a Texas dream. I love her beauty content as well as her Vlog channel, and her personality makes me feel like we are destined to be friends. I have followed her for YEARS and can honestly say that I enjoy her just as much now, as I did then. She’s down to earth, fun-loving and has the cutest little Luna Bean! Find her on Instagram HERE & Twitter HERE.
8. Brianna Oden: I discovered Brianna through a girl I follow on Instagram and I’m so glad that I did. If you’re looking for positivity, motivation and relatable content, Brianna’s your girl! She’s steadfast in her faith and is absolutely G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S; if you’re looking for someone new to follow, check her out! Find her on Instagram HERE.
9. Rachh Loves: Look at her…I can’t handle the cuteness. If you’re looking for beauty hacks, kitchen hacks, tutorials and get ready with me’s, Rachel is perfect! She’s fun, uplifting and delightfully charming! I always leave her channel happier than when I arrived and for that, I will keep coming back! Find her on Instagram HERE, Twitter HERE & Vlog channel HERE.
Best Instagram Accounts / Podcasts of 2018
1. Britt Fullwood: Brittany lives in Houston, TX and runs the Hello Honey Blog (HERE). She loves all things holiday (soul sisters), coffee and fashion; she’s super uplifting and has the cutest babies around! If you’re looking for someone new to follow, check her out!
2. Macy McNeely: The queen of positivity, motivation and self-love; if your soul needs a pick-me-up, follow Macy. She is the founder of Daily Deposit (which I use and love) and the co-founder of Clearly Confident, and I’ve never been more thankful to have found someone on Instagram. If you’re having a tough time or a bad day, just hop on over to her page; her stories are sure to leave you with a smile.
3. Grace: A Southern Drawl: If you’re looking for fitness inspiration, Gracie’s your girl! She created Fit with ASD and gives you all the motivation to get up off the couch and hit the gym! If you’re not a gym rat, no worries; she has the cutest puppy (Jeter) and has the best style!
4. Shelbi: It’s All Chic to Me: Another Houston blogger (I think I have a thing for Texas) coming in hot! Shelbi is hilarious, loves Chick-Fil-A as much as Atlantans do and has the most effortless style. Her try-on sessions are always informative and I’ve purchased a number of things based on her recommendations. Find her blog HERE!
5. Katy: Living My Best Style: A petite cutie with a knack for finding the best sales! Her style is casual and chic and her pups are the cutest! If you’re looking for a relatable, down to earth girl, check her out! Find her blog HERE!
6. Shelby Ditch: I started following Shelby back before she even had 10k followers on Instagram; fast forward to now and she has over 26k. She’s one of the most genuine people I’ve had the pleasure of following and watching her grow has been wonderful. She has the sweetest personality and her style/makeup tips are amazing. Also, if you’re looking for skincare help, Shelby has all the info! Find her blog HERE!
7. Jennifer: The Sister Studio: Another Texas gal, clearly I have a type. I come to Jennifer for affordable, daily deals! She works tirelessly to bring you a variety of try-on sessions but also gives you a dose of real life, which I appreciate! She’s funny, relatable and just the best! Find her blog HERE!
8. Jana Kramer: Whine Down: In the interest of full disclosure, I don’t listen to a ton of podcasts; however, when I’m in the mood for a good lifestyle moment and don’t feel like watching a vlog, I’ll tune into Jana Kramer’s podcast. She talks marriage, kids, career, life…basically everything. She’s funny, honest and incredibly vulnerable. If you like Jana, you’ll love her podcast!
9. FML Pod: Shameless plug, this is the podcast that David (and Drew – mentioned above) co-hosts. It’s the official podcast of Fantasy Movie League and features 3 Daves, 1 Drew and lots of movie banter! If you’ve ever played fantasy sports and like movies, I would 100% recommend checking out Fantasy Movie League. The FML Pod is lighthearted, fun and full of laughs! Find their Instagram HERE & Twitter HERE!
So that wraps up my 4th and final installment in my ‘best of 2018’ series. I hope you enjoyed this post and hope you guys have a wonderful weekend. What shows, movies, etc. were you loving this year? Leave me a comment down below and let’s chat!